If I had to summarize what methods were used in my articles I would say:
1) Heavy on the qualitative data.
2) Very little quantitative data that mostly comes form Likert scale type questions.
3) Most studies used methods such as interviews, questionnaires, surveys, and analysis of student work and discussions.
4) Most of them mentioned the description research method. I don't know all the implications or ins and outs of that method but it seems to consist of the above three things.
5) Data and information was analyzed to find trends and commonalities from which conclusions were made.